And away we go!


This phrase always reminds me of my Pap, who says “and away we go!” any time we’re in the car getting ready for a long trip. I feel like it’s especially fitting for today, as I left the comfort of Antsirabe (where I had been for almost 4 weeks) and began the two-day journey to my placement in Farafangana. Early this morning I said “see you later” to three of my country-mates, hopped in the car with three others, and headed south for our first stop, Fianarantsoa.


From left to right: Lauren, me, Krista, and Rachel. We headed south today!
Then Amanda and Stephanie, who are going back to Antananarivo
before heading north to their placement sites. Photo credits go to Serena,
whose host family is picking her up tomorrow in Antisrabe!

It took us about 6 hours to arrive in Fianarantsoa, and we got there safely thanks to our awesome driver Njaka!

Njaka pulled over here, pointed into the distance,
and said "there's Fianarantsoa!" Can you see it??

First, we dropped off Krista in Masamboaka (a section of Fianarantsoa). The pastor of the church, Pastor Gerard,  and a woman who introduced herself as “Bebe Isabella” (Grandma Isabella) met us and showed us to Krista’s flat. After we got Krista all moved in, we said “mandrapihaona” (see you!), and she went to lunch at Pastor Gerard's house!


Here is Krista holding the keys to her home for the year!

Njaka, Lauren, Rachel, and I went to a hotely (a restaurant that serves typical Malagasy food) for lunch, and then headed to the SALT to drop off Rachel. The SALT is the only Lutheran seminary on the island that offers graduate-level theological study, and Rachel will be teaching English there!

Lauren, Rachel, and I in front of Rachel's apartment!

Now that all of our “see-you-laters” are finished for today, Lauren and I are sitting in our hotel room reflecting on all that is uncertain about this upcoming year. What is our housing going to look like? What if we get lost on the way to work? How often will we be able to talk to our families back home? Will we make any friends??

Despite all of this uncertainty, I have already felt so embraced by the people we have spent time with today. People like Njaka, who said “mandrapihoana” for us approximately 400 times until we could say it correctly (or at least close). And Grandma Isabella, who invited us to lunch with her in Masamboaka (we, unfortunately, could not stay). And Rachel’s host dad at the SALT, who invited us to stay there with Rachel for the night (alas, we already had a hotel room). And Mrs. Bodo, who reserved Lauren’s taxi-brousse ticket, showed us the supermarket, and ate dinner with this evening! We have been shown exceptional hospitality and love by all of these people, most of whom were complete strangers before today.

I am still nervous about the prospect of arriving in Farafangana tomorrow and meeting my new community, but I am so grateful to have witnessed the open arms of Krista and Rachel’s host communities today. Even with uncertainties about the upcoming year, I have faith that I will be received with the same love and generosity as they were.

And away we go!

Mandrapihoana,
Katie

Below are some more pictures from our drive!




Comments

  1. So excited for your friends and for your adventure! Love and hugs !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts