Places and Placements

Hello! Salamo! Thank you for taking the time to read my first ever post on my first ever blog! Throughout this year, and as often as I have internet, I will be using this medium to post pictures, news, updates, and musings from Farafangana, Madagascar.

Where in the world is Farafangana, Madagascar?? Well first, it may be helpful to point out where Madagascar is. It is the fourth largest island in the world (after Greenland, New Guinea, and Borneo),  and it is located off of the east coast of Africa. The spoken languages are Malagasy and French, and we will be having intensive Malagasy language training during our in-country orientation.


Over 22 million people live in Madagascar, and the Malagasy Lutheran Church (Fiangonana Loterana Malagasy, or FLM) has about 3 million members. In comparison, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has a little over 3.6 million members. I will be serving with the FLM congregation in Farafangana, which is a town on the southeast coast of the island.


My primary placement for the year is in the Lutheran High School, where I will be teaching English to the students and staff. Additionally, I will be teaching at the Lutheran Primary School, and I will have the opportunity to teach the staff at the School for the Blind, which is right next door to the high school! There are also English Clubs at the FLM congregation in Farafangana, so I will be involved in those, as well! In my free time, I hope to join the church choir and spend time on the beach.

I really don't know what to expect from my year in Madagascar, but I think it will be better that way! I am blessed to have a cohort of nine other strong, beautiful women, whom I have already come to know and love. We take off on Wednesday morning to begin the roughly 24-hour journey to the capital, Antananarivo, and then we have 3 weeks of orientation before moving to our respective places.

I am excited for the journey ahead, and I thank you for your love and support throughout it all!

Lots of love,
Katie

Galatians 5:13 -- My brothers and sisters, you were chosen to be free. But don't use your freedom as an excuse to live under the power of sin. Instead, serve one another in love. (NIRV)

Comments

  1. I love you so much and, I admire the woman you have become. You will do great things this year and learn so much! Go with God, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you, Katie!! Is there any way to subscribe to this blog so I will always see your posts? Go do lots of good in your small part of the world!! Oops, this is Charlotte Scudder. It shows as unknown. I'm technologically gifted, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Charlotte! Thanks for reading my blog! I just added the "Subscribe" gadget. So if you go to the top right corner of the blog, next to the search button, you can type in your e-mail and get notifications about when the blog is updated! Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. You will have an amazing time in Madagascar and will be such a blessing to the people you encounter in Farafangana. I can't wait to read about your adventures. Blessings to you this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts